NEW SOUTH CAMPUS UNION UW-MADISON
Upon ascending the grand staircase of the University of Wisconsin’s Memorial Union one might spot Sociotate Crescit Lumen, a hopeful, yet to a modern reader, esoteric inscription in the marble floor. Over it’s hundred years, this much beloved building has become a wonderful crazy quilt organically expressing generation after generation of ideas – diverse interpretations yet convergent values stitched together.
I have been chosen to work with Workshop Architects to integrate art into the New South Campus Union. We will set in motion a dynamic environment intended to affect students with themes of how, in our time, we manifest the vision and goals of the University. My hope is to initiate an environment of conversations that will, like the Memorial Union, collect over time.
Last spring I met with over fifty students and staff for brainstorming sessions, follow up discussions, assessment of ideas/outcomes and a student preview/ critique of my initial concepts. We carefully weighed issues of longevity in ideas, materials, technology and maintenance. Ways in which students can be successfully involved over the entire term of the project were developed.
With help, I honed two intersecting themes.
• THE ENVIRONMENT – The most pervasive subtext among all participants in brainstorming sessions reflected Madison’s seminal role in the history of conservation and ongoing commitment to the environment.
• ART, SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY – Through collaboration, the same base source material in nature can be seen differently from different disciplines. I have been working with: FLOCK THEORY, BIFURCATION, and LIGHT phenomenon.
The proposed integrated art will flow from the major entrances, concentrate at two fireplaces, intervene in small ways throughout the first three floors, make a focal statement and foster collaborations.
• PRAIRIE PASSAGE NORTHEAST MAIN ENTRANCE
• PRAIRIE FIRE(PLACE) COFFEE HOUSE
• KINETIC FIREPLACE SUN GARDEN
• LEOPOLD’S PIGEONS NORTHWEST ENTRANCE
• FOCAL STATEMENT SUN GARDEN
• SUPERVISED STUDENT PROJECT TO BE DETERMINED
Over the next two years this blog will follow the progress of these five projects.
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN STUDENTS: Amanda Schmitt (special thanks), Zoe Berg, Louisa Brouwer, Maggy Donaldson, Hogan Edelberg, Sally Haulfmann, Barry Helgestad, Sarah Jankowski, Kate Kudish, Ted Lott, Ginger Lukas, Kyle Miller, Molly Petri, Katie Reahel, Naomi Schliesman, Jamie Schroedter, Johann Sung, Amelia Toelke, Lucas Urbain, Lauren Wojcik, Sara Woldt, Logan Woods and many more…
UW STAFF/FACULTY: Paul Broadhead, Dan Cornelius, Susan Dibbell, Gwen Drury, Julie Grove, Jay Martin, Robin Scmoldt and The Design Committee
MIAD STUDENTS: Chad Adams, Jeanette Arellano, Alex Astriedes, Lisa Chen, Tracy Choomack, Meagan Crouch, Shannon Hoppe, Molly Noyes, Paul Peck, Erik Peterson, Anne Ryan and Bauhaus exchange student Rose Marie Weinlich